Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Woman with an Issue of Blood


Mat 9:20 KJV - And , behold , a woman, which was diseased with an issue of blood  twelve years, came  behind, and touched the hem of his garment:
Mar 5:25 KJV - And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve  years,
Luk 8:43 KJV - And  a woman  having  an issue  of blood  twelve years, which had spent  all her living  upon  physicians, neither could be healed of  any,
Luk 8:44 KJV - Came behind, and touched the border  of his garment: and  immediately her  issue of blood  stanched.


For many years now, I have admired this un-named woman's faith. It was not the fact that she touched the hem of Jesus' garment that healed her--it was the fact she BELIEVED that simple act would heal her. 

Mat 9:22 KJV - But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.

Does this mean my issue of blood continues, actually worsens after ten years, because I have little faith? Because I am a sinner? Because I am dis-obedient? I choose to leave that to the more theology minded to debate. I do pray about these issues, and seek guidance from the God of my and all Creation. 

I'll keep you up to date with the answers. For now my point is that many people, male AND female, and I dare say more females, use this passage (and others) to say that if a woman has "female problems" she has "asked for it" or, using other verses and passages, that she has a "generational" curse on her, after all, women bleed in cycles because they are being punished for being the daughter's of Eve! 

In my mind and heart and soul, these reasons can not be totally discounted. But and that is a BIG but, these are used as excuses more often than not. After all, ALL female mammals, have fertility cycles that include bleeding. Also, these very beliefs are judgmental to the very core and put God/Creator in a very bad light--

There are physical reasons, ones with physical not spiritual explanations, for these problems. The way to prove this? My faith is such that if you have an issue of blood due to spiritual reasons, even a complete hysterectomy is NOT going to fix it. You will continue to bleed. Yes, I have enough faith to KNOW that God/Creator/The Wonderful and Great Mystery can make you have an issue of blood, even after a surgeon removes your uterus/womb from your body. He is all powerful and a Great Mystery and He has the ability and power to fix or break what He created.

My point with post though is that humans use this, and other passages from the Bible to not only say, but actually believe-deep down believe, that women deserve to be punished for no other reason than they are women, and that God says it!

Please click on the tab above above that says "Woman's Sabbath" to find a very different view on the fact that women bleed on a regular basis. I will later be writing a post about what many Native/Aboriginal people believe about this fact.



No comments:

Post a Comment